Poll: Do You run DC or DCC
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DC
32.69%
17 32.69%
DCC
63.46%
33 63.46%
Arm chair
3.85%
2 3.85%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

DC/DCC
Really interesting thread.

Having just converted to DCC a couple of months ago, the appeal to me is the superior slow speed operation I get with DCC. Acquiring a couple of sound equipped DCC loco's really hooked me, but it's the speed control that really convinced me to go 100% DCC.

I have one of the finest DC walk around systems ever made (Loggers Supply WTA no longer available) that has adjustable pulse power and simulated braking/momentum and it can make some of the worst running DC loco's operate pretty darn well. Have always been very pleased with it - but still no comparison to the control that DCC gives me.

I don't plan on operating more than one loco at a time on my layout, but will no doubt switch motive power types from time to time. In fact, in addition to the 3 DCC equipped loco's I have, I also have 3 really nice running "DCC Ready" loco's, and plan to covert all of them to DCC (with sound???), as time and finances permit. I do like the fact that I can program in the loco's road number, so if I should have more than one loco on the layout, I can select the one I want to operate and let the other one still quietly in the shadows, without needing any sort of special block wiring.

I purchased a NCE PowerCab and am very pleased with it, although I do find it a bit bulky to carry around compared to what I've been used too. I'm still learning to master all the CV values that can be programmed on DCC loco's and what all I can do with the PowerCab, but it's not difficult. If I mess something up on a loco, I simply set CV8=8 and start again!

I, for one, don't see DC becoming a thing of the past for many years, if ever, but I do think the trend will be that every loco will come with at least a simple dual mode decoder out of the box, as Bachmann is now doing.

Having seen my DCC sound equipped loco's in operation, at least two of my model railroading buddies are now considering making the switch to DCC. Both having recently purchased a sound equipped HO loco that they are operating on DC. Sound effects on DC only, just don't quite cut it in my opinion, but still adds a new dimension.

I say go with DCC! The cost is coming down and no one says you have to convert all your loco's at once!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread