First attempt at scratch building.
Scratchbuilding is a great way to get a structure, loco, or rolling stock that isn't commercially available.
I use Evergreen Styrene Sheets and Shapes exculsively when scratchbuilding. Its easy to cut, can use any glue such as Plastic Weld, TR7, and even Testors Red Tube Model Glue(which is what I use). My LHS owner scratchbuilt a harbor crane with Evergreen plastic, and member Abutt, used to scratchbuild N scale Schnabbel cars.

I've never scratchbuilt with wood, as I feel I don't have the talent(or patience) for using wood, but have seen some excellent models using nothing but wood, with Grandt Line windows and doors, and detail parts from others.

Using a combination of wood, and plastic would mean using Super Glue, as well as the glues I mentioned.

If you want to try your hand a scratchbuilding, its best to start with something simple. Maybe a yard building, small flagstop station. Easy, four square sides and one or two windows. Keep building up to more complex scratchbuilds until you feel confident enough to do something with odd angles, and mutiple doors and windows, and different roof designs.

Don't get upset if you make a mistake. Beleive me, I've had to run to the LHS an awful lot to get some more plastic cause I boo-booed.

This is an example of one of my scratchbuilds. It was a station that was located on the main line of the Central New England. I guesstimated the dimensions from a picture in a book that was taken in 1928. I had to "Guess" the backside as there were no pictures and used "modelers liscence" for the build.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.

Messages In This Thread