Poll: Are You Using Scale Size HO Couplers On Your Equipment
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
All my equipment use scale size couplers
25.93%
7 25.93%
None of my equipment use scale size couplers
25.93%
7 25.93%
I operate with a mix of scale size and oversize couplers
48.15%
13 48.15%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Scale Size HO Couplers
For HO, I use mostly #5s and the cheapie B-man plastic knuckles. I do have some of the others as well as #714s and N-scale couplers on my HOn3 stuff. (My dad's On3 stuff has #5s...mine has a mix of other On3 types...all of which can couple with the #5s except the Link & Pins)

If a car is parked on the far side of the parking lot and a front row spot opens up, some people will move their car to get the prime spot. The problem with this rational is that you have to walk just as far to move your car, and then you add on two additional trips to and from this new parking spot. There must be additional benefit to justify this cost. My cars which have worked fine for 10+ years with plastic knuckle couplers will continue to do so until problems arise.

I have experienced a few broken plastic couplers, but I don't really see the point in switching them out prior to having issues. Swapping them out requires both time and money which are better spent either addressing existing problems or furthering other areas on the layout. The exception is with my top of the line motive power and rolling stock...all of which received #58s as soon as that coupler came out or once the locomotives/cars made it into my possession. If I'm buying couplers, I'll purchase Kadee #58s unless there is a really good price on an alternative. Similarly, I only replace plastic wheels on cars that I frequently run or if there are problems with the plastic wheels. In On3, I'll purchase plastic wheels if they are substantially cheaper than metal wheels.

Michael
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread