AAR Types
Steamtrains Wrote:Tetters...How do you like that program..?? Is it "user friendly", and does it do what it's supposed to do..??

I just got. I just started inputting my cars, locos and will finally get to putting in the layout information. So I haven't really had a chance to start using it. Inputting all the information is a bit of a pain though, but that was to be expected. It requires a lot of input from the user from the get go. This takes time.

User friendly is a bit of an odd term. I would say if you are already familiar with how an RR Operates and already have a really good idea as to how your layout is supposed to function, then yes, I'd say its user friendly. Yoo will already have first hand knowledge of the information the program is asking for. If you are kinda bumbling through, have vague idea about how your layout will function, and not too familiar how RR's operate in the real world, like me, then its a bit of a learning curve.

If you don't like computers, then its probably not a good idea to get it. Misngth

Once I have all the info about my layout put into the Database for the program it is meant to generate switchlists that I can use to operate my layout. I tell it what rolling stock I have, locos, caboose etc. I also tell it what industries and their requirements, I have on my layout, the capacity of their tracks, plus if I have a yard, interchange tracks (car float in this case) and their respective sizes. The developer recommends you start out small i.e. tell it your Lumber Company track can only hold 1 car and then build up the number as you get familiar with the program and go from there. This is what I plan to do. I'll keep things simple and then start adding some operation compexity to the whole scheme of things.

Anyhow, I am still learning how to use it, so I am afraid I can't really give a comprehensive review of the porduct. But when I do start getting around to really using it, I'll be sure share my experiences with anyone who asks.

Messages In This Thread