Bridge at South Wayside
I used to just put most of what I bought (except what I had said I was going the the LHS for) in the spare tire well of the Taurus wagon and leave it there until Saturday when the wife and small daughter would go the Mall for the day. Then I'd just bring the stuff into the house and down the stairs into the basement ... SAFE!!!

She was glad that I had the hobby and would spend my time in the basement and not ever go out "bar-hopping with the guys." On the other hand, she begrudged any money I spent on it. It was somehow different when she came home from "shopping at the Mall" with an armload of "bargains" she'd found on clothing. (I've been divorced now for thirteen years now and buy my own clothes ... I have not bought any more plaid shirts or pastel green shirts or double-knit slacks ... EUuuuuuuuu! I always hated that stuff, but I couldn't justify buying a new shirt of my choice when she had just bought me three that satisfied her taste in men's casual clothing. There was an understanding, though ... she was not, under any circumstance to buy anything that I might have to wear to the office -- that was totally my realm of responsibilty!

Anyway, I never felt guilty about my purchases or how they came into the house. The delay in bringing my hobby purchases into the house was like a game of sorts and eliminated my having to justify spending a couple bucks on myself once in a while. I worked very hard for my money, put in long hours, so that she could be a stay-at-home Mom with our daughter. I figured that I deserved the rewards of a few hobby items on occasion.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread