changing or upgrading to metal wheels
IMSMR, I recall an article in either MR or RMC within the last couple years about various replacement wheelsets....mebbe by Lionel Strang? Check the Model Train Magazine Index and perhaps it will turn up.

Personally, I highly recommend 'The Tool' for most replacement wheel situations. It's basically a little reamer that you place where the wheelset would go, then you spin it between your fingers to clean out the cup where the axle points go. You'd be amazed at the crud and bits of plastic that come out. It leaves a nice, smooth and clean receptacle for the needle point axles.

I too am gradually switching over to metal wheelsets for cleanliness sake. Just keep at it and eventually it'll be all done. I remember when I'd go down to the hobby shop and buy a shake-the-box Athearn or MDC/Roundhouse kit with allowance money. I don't remember exactly when, but at some point I began buying a pack of Kadee #5's with each new kit. I'd use two couplers on the new kit, and replace two horn hooks on an older car with the remaining two couplers. Pretty soon I reached a point where I had to buy whole trucks, or begin body mounting coupler boxes, so I needed to buy shim washers, styrene rod and tube for plugging holes, etc.

Now, when I do purchase the odd kit here or there, I try to bring home a pack of Kadees AND a pack of wheelsets, unless of course they are included. What next...eye bolts and wire for coupler cut levers? :geek: I still need to replace several sets... 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread