Bridge at South Wayside
I agree with you on your point, Tetters. And that is one reason why my layout height is 58 inches AFF! I'm 6'-4" so I still look down on the layout a little bit, but most others will be confronted with close to a ground level view.

As for the model progress, been busy with long hours at work yesterday and today.

Last night, after studying the photos, both model and prototype, I see that the model girder is of the wrong proportions. The model is too tall. Before I started all the bridge projects, I was buying some stuff on-line and found a couple of Micro-Engineering through-girder bridges at a very reasonable price, so I picked them up figuring I would use it for something. I dug it out last night and discovered that its height is almost exactly that of the real bridge. So, I am abandoning the Central Valley bridge in favor of the ME. I did find a bit of time last night to change the length of the ME. This photo shows the modified length CV, the real thing, and the modified length MR girder. The blue squares on the right are the same size and are there to show the relative differences.

As I am looking now, I think I will cut the ME girders into multiple sections to get the proper rib spacing too. The stock ME has the ribs way too close together. I can't help but feel that I am going off the deep end here, but it is something I want to do, so there ya go. I'll cut the girders all up and piece them back to better match the real thing.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread