ezdays 2010 EOY challenge
Some progress and a solution that works. After weathering the ties and rails, I then cut away the roadbed under the track that I wanted movable. I then formed some ballast on a piece of thin laminate to fit underneath. I found an adhesive called, Handi-Tak which is kind of like rubber but remains soft and pliable, and embedded some ballast in it. I sprayed that with some clear fixative and cut it into small chunks to fit between the ties. I then ballasted the rest of the track to fit in. I now have just about the right amount of movement in the track over the fixed ballast to compensate for any misalignment should that occur. The Handi-Tack package says that it won't dry out, and since I've had it for a good five years and It's still as pliable as the day I bought it, I can believe what they're saying. I thank you all for giving me that inspiration. Thumbsup

After that, I added a retaining wall to the small section that was added because the track wound up so close to the edge of the layout.

Forming the ballast insert:

Inserting the fixed ballast:

Insert is in place:

Making pliable ballast:

Pliable ballast in place"

Adding retaining wall and shrubs:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread