Van Hobbies brass CNR N-5-d 2-8-0 rebuild/ Finished pics add
That's a great-looking paint job, Wayne, and a fitting finish for the great job which you did on the re-build.

I notice in all but the last two pictures which you posted that you have the lenses installed in the class lights, so I'm assuming that you either found the lost ones or got new ones. (Incidentally, a good way to recover small parts lost in a carpet is with the use of a shop vac or vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment. Before fitting the crevice or carpet tool to the end of the hose, fit a piece of nylon stocking material over the end that slips into the hose. This allows the suction to pick up the parts and dirt, while leaving them easily accessible to check through for the missing parts - simply dump the accumulation onto some newspaper and sort through it. My first true shop for modelling was in a converted playroom, with shag Eek carpeting on the floor. Whenever I ran out of detail parts for a particular project, a thorough vacuuming was sure to re-stock my parts supply.) Misngth 357
If you don't need working class lights, an easy way to duplicate the appearance of unlit ones is to paint the depressions in the casting grey, then fill them with drops of clear five-minute epoxy - I apply it with the tip of a #11 X-acto blade. Its surface tension nicely duplicates globular shape of the lenses of the prototype, although you have to ensure that the loco is positioned so that the lense is facing up until it hardens. That means three distinct applications: two with the loco lying on one side to do the lense on the opposite side, then standing on its cab for the two front lenses.
[album]318[/album]

For diesels, slice off the cast-on lenses, then drill #65 holes to accept .035" fibre optics. Cut short lengths of the fibre (1/4" is plenty, unless you want to make working lights - in that case, cut to suit your particular application) after first heating the end over a hot soldering iron. Don't allow the plastic to touch the iron, and keep the cut end perpendicular to the heat - it will form a nice, enlarged lense. You may have to make several attempts to get two the same size, though.
[album]319[/album]

Wayne

Messages In This Thread