Pearl Harbor Remembered
Ralph Wrote:I don't know how many " many kids" are bil, but I think you're talking to the wrong ones that represent a small minority.

No, I don't think it is a minority. It wasn't all that long ago i was in High School (and my Youngest sister still is). You know how i know? If Pearl harbor is such an important date, why did it happen? My guess is that the majority of young people you ask won't be able to give you an answer. You'd think that the reason we entered a WORLD WAR is important. But its not.

Lessons on WWII focus almost entirely on discussions about the holocaust, Japanese internment camps, and the "evil" atom bomb. Everything else gets a quick lecture that pretty much passes by in 5 minutes. Some major European battles are covered (like D-Day), and the Pacific is pretty much forgotten, consisting of Pearl Harbor, MAYBE iwo Jima (if only to tell the flag raising story), and the Atom bomb.

Most young people my age tend to only know about the things that we "did wrong", like how the Atom bombs caused so much death (no one remembers fire bombing raids that rival the bomb), Or are shocked about interment camps. they may know some other basic fact like how Hitler shot himself, or that D-day was June 6th. maybe some interesting facts like the ME262 jet or some other oddball secret weapon.

Video games do a better job of teaching the battles of WWII than the schools. At least they tend to actually explain the historical significance of the game as you play it, if the player bothers to pay attention.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread