BATTLEGROUND!! SD90: Kato VS Overland
Squidbait Wrote:Actually, I'd disagree with you in the sense that while the Overland may have more details hung on the body, they look coarse and clunky compared with the molded-on details on the Kato. Same goes for the see-through grill openings. They aren't square like the prototype, and they look cheezy compared to the scale looks of the Kato.

Is that a factory weathering job on the Kato or a custom-paint job? The paint on the Overland looks thick and heavy by comparison.

Just my opinion, but for something so small, that extra $200 zorts would buy me 2 Katos to one Overland, and I'd be a much happier modeller. At arm's length, most of those detail differences are too hard to see anyways... so why not have 2 locos if you've got that cash to spend... or 3, since you've bought both! Tongue

I've never fallen for brass's cachet - I've never been so desperate for a model of a specific prototype that I'm willing to shell out that kind of money.

I did the weathering on the Kato unit. The thing with the details on these locomotives is that you're damned if you have them and damned if you dont.

Yes, the Kato has square grilles that are not see through and the Overland has non squared see through grilles. Pick yer poison Icon_lol Icon_lol

Messages In This Thread