Bowser USRA Lt Mikado, Deluxe Kit build
I think I understand their frustration. I suspect that the first problem was that the parts list was missing...as I'd bet that it was supposed to have one. Perhaps it was a kit that had previously been returned to Standard Hobby Supply by the original purchaser...with the sales associate failing to make certain that it was complete...or an error at Bowser.

If the mistake was Bowser's, it is more difficult for them to discover the source of the problem. While this isn't as much of a problem for them, it is a serious problem for short run items. What do you do if a customer comes to you for replacement parts on an item that has been out of production for several years? I know that every manufacturer always has spare parts produced for their products...or even complete RTR items held in reserve...and they hold onto them for a limited period of time (that is how I acquired the drivers for my 2-8-0 project). I suspect that the absolute worst is when someone request free parts for an item more than once...which implies that they lost/damaged parts during construction. Grandt Line's old replacement parts sheet was your one time offer for free parts...after it, you'd have to pay.

I'd bet that your kit was supposed to have a parts list and that the replacement policy was printed on this. I'd guess that this was removed in between it leaving Bowser and arriving in your mailbox. They did not realize that you did not have this, and presumed that you'd probably just lost or broken the parts you wanted replaced since you didn't follow the missing instructions.

Another animal entirely is the customer relations with specialized companies such as Cimarron works which provides unique stuff to minority scales...they have it in their interest for you to be happy enough to purchase more kits...and it is in your interest not to sink the lone supplier of the items you need through critical reviews.

Just to be clear, I don't think you did anything wrong. I think their is a misunderstanding on their end.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread