Tetters, you kow it is your fault …
For me handlaid track was something I had always wanted top try and was something I was going to do some of no matter what. Even if it was just a small switching layout. I have always liked the look of it and how it seems to flow nicer than RTR track. Another reason I decided on handlaid track was the fact if one hand builds a turnout it can be built to work better than a RTR turnout. I have found that if you take an NMRA gauge to a RTR turnought most are off some where. I have a dozen ME #6 code 83 turnouts and if I roll a Proto or Kadee freight car truck through them the wheels drop a little at the frog and make a little bump noise. Two of my ME turnouts have frog points that are actually higher than the rail around them. The trucks bump up as they roll onto the frog which leads to a derailment some times. Eek
I bought one of the Fast Tracks code 83 #6 HO scale turnout jigs a few years back and when rolling a truck through one of the turnouts made in the jig the truck rolls smoothly through the turnout and the only noise is the sound of the metal wheels on the rail. No bumping or dropping at the frog. I have also built a couple just using a Fast Tracks template ( no jig ) and they turned out as good as a jig built turnout. Now I am not saying RTR turnouts are junk. Lots of people use them with no problems and so have I. Handlaid turnouts are bit superior only because the builder can make sure the gauging is spot on as it is built. That is 50% of the reason I went with the Fast Tracks turnout jig. The other 50% was cost. If I use seperate wood ties instead of the Fast Tracks laser cut ties my cost per turnout is a fair bit cheaper that a good RTR turnout. Yes there is less detail but I can live with that trade off if I am going to get smooth preformance and save a little bit of money to use for other goodies. Big Grin I also get to have fun building my own turnouts. Goldth

Wayne Reid

Messages In This Thread