Not the Usual Turnout Frogs
Got to admit I've never seen anything like the one in your first photo! Would be a rough ride for sure, not to mention the potential for damage to wheel flanges and the rail. So..........

Looking closely at the photo, you'll notice that there are long tie plates close to the frog which would indicate to me that this switch is designed to actually create a smooth flow through the frog, by moving the rail and closing the frog. Since the turnout has not been completely installed at this point - adjustments would still need to be made before it is placed in service.

It's sort of like the old Tru-Scale HO switches from back in the 60's. When you threw the switch, the frog rails moved along with the switch points to close the frog and make a "gap-less" frog. This is the only image I can find of a Tru-Scale switch kit http://www.memorytrains.com/img/products/TS1553-1.jpg, but I think you can see how the point rails and frog rails are one piece.

Have seen the closed type frog as in your second photo in a lot of locations. In that case, the guard rail is forcing the wheels over to follow the diverging route. That also forces the frog to open up, which is held in place with spring assemblies that can be seen in the photo.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread