Campgrounds and Trains
sgtcarl1 Wrote:There is a campground near Durango, Colo as you head out of town. It is right on the Narrow guage from Durango to Silverton. I camped there for a few days quite a while back. I pitched my tent just as close to the tracks as I could. I watched the train go up to Silverton, and I watched it come back.
Hey, we did the same thing sort of but at a campground further up the valley. By the time the train passed us (we were down on the river), it was way up the side of the cliff. They were running three trains a day that summer so if we stayed in camp all day long, we saw 6 trains (3 up and 3 back).
I also used to like Kaibab lake campground near Williams, AZ. The campground was about a mile away from the tracks but when the steamers left in the morning, the whistle would echo up through the pine trees. Now, they have discontinued steam service to the canyon and you no longer hear the whistle.
We went to a tractor show near Oceanside, CA one year and stayed in a campground just in from the beach. The coaster line ran in between the campground and the beach. We were pretty close to it.
[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=330]
[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=329]

Messages In This Thread