SLC Mechanical Reefers
P5se Camelback Wrote:... your spud reefers sure as Hades look pretty good from my house! I'm always amazed at the speed with which you work. I am a butt-draggin' slug by comparison.

Smile I have to admit that the overall progress I have made in 2010 has been very good. I haven't been afraid to just dive right it and "do it" as DocWyane had mentioned in the Bridge at South Wayside thread:

docWayne Wrote:Yeah, I know that he's gained experience with the earlier bridges, and it's easy to see his skills developing as we watch each new one "come to life". However, the initial one was a case of just jumping in and doing it. Each subsequent one was built on the success of the previous build, and each pushes the envelope further, and each still requires that "let's do it!" attitude. I think that lesson is equally as important as all the construction tips included in each thread, and, of course, all the demonstrative photos.
So thanks, Gary, for showing us that while the planning is important, the "doing" is even more so. And for showing all of us (not just the neophytes) that, to "get it done", we need to "do it". You may be surprised at what you achieve on your first attempt, but, on subsequent projects, that surprise will give way to a simple sense of satisfaction.

I hadn't thought about it before that, but he is right. DocWayne is very perceptive, and his advice is good for all of us. Jump in and get started, don't get bogged down in the research or details, things can always be refined later during the build.

Another wonderful thing I learned is that building from the prototype helps me get going and is a huge part of my hobby enjoyment. When freelancing, I was always dragging my heels, wondering "will this look realistic?" or "will that be prototypical?" More time is spent coming up with the ideas and plans than actually building the model. And even after the model is finished, I am still second guessing myself about whether it is appropriate. But when you have the real thing, you just build what you see.

P5se Camelback Wrote:I often like building a model as close to the prototype as I can. It can be the stuff of tearing your hair out ... it can be that frustrating!

For me, I try to keep the "Three Foot Rule" in mind. I know I got bogged down in the anal details a couple of times during the bridge builds, but for the most part, the "overall feel" was what I was shooting for.

P5se Camelback Wrote:But I also like looking at a photo of a prototype [for instance, Reading Company's NMa four-wheel caboose] and using it as a reference to build a "sorta like that" model, or models, for the LS&W RR, my Small Fleet of Very Small Cabooses are an example of that direction (... and I will be pulling them back out to complete them at the start of the new year.)

biL, I hope to see some good things being accomplished in Florida in 2011, and I hope to see all the results in photos right here on Big Blue! Thumbsup

Messages In This Thread