Your Layout
My first layout, the Sagaponack Montauk, a 4' X 6', is long gone, but, by me, well remembered. The Sagaponack Montauk & Cindys Harbor ( SM&CH ), was an 8' X 10' modular layout I built when I was stationed at NAS Brusnwick, Me., in 1973-1976. This was the point where Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. ( SHS&D ) bought up the old SM, and added the line down east to Cindy's Harbor. ( a variation of Cundys Harbor Me. ).
That modular layout moved to Virginia Beach, Va., Mundelien, Il., Libertyville, Il. and ended up here in Vernon Hills Il.
My "New Modules", used the last of the buildings, bridges, and bits of scenery from the old modular layout. The remaining module frames are destined to become a 2' X 12' ( maybe 14' ) On30 "switchback", The Wiscasset Bucksport & Schoodic Point ( WB&SP ), another wholly owned subsidiary of the Shipyard.
My primary connections are Northeastern, so I'm partial to Eastern roads. LIRR, C&O, B&O, Clinchfield, D&H, BAR, The Maine two-footers, N&W, and most of the 3' gauge lines East and West.
Many of the names are either Eastern / New England towns, or variations of those names. The Kennequogue River, for example, is a variant combination of the Kennebec River, in Maine, and the Native Indian name Quogue, from eastern Long Island. Sag Harbor, Sagaponack, Montauk Point, Shinnecock Hills, are Eastern Long Island places.
The concept, is that of a "working Museum", operating steam, and early diesel locomotives and rolling stock, as a subcontractor for the Northeastern roads, hauling less than full car, "nuisance" loads, in steam era rolling stock,and occasional railfan passenger runs, in exchange for trackage rights.
On the short "interconnect" right of ways, there are railfan "photo locations".....in most cases, platforms that provide excellent bridge, trestle, or riverside shots with an unrestricted view, all for a very modest fee.
The Railroad had to purchase a pair of BL20-2s, and hire union crews, because business had actually generated "profit"
( income over and above the annual budget of the not-for-profit museum ) The BL20s make one run a month, and act as back up motive power for the older equipment.
With the exception of the BL20 crews, all the "employees of the various lines" are actually "Shipyard" employees, who work the museum, but are paid by the shipyard "corporation".
Because of all the "legal" rules and regs, each "employee" is issued a 40' boxcar, to carry their employment contract in. It's a good thing the shipyard also owns Shinnecock Hills Lumber Company......helps make all that paper affordable.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread