Rico Redux - Kitbashing a Klassik Station
rrinker Wrote:Very nifty, from a highly specific, recognizable prototype that you really can't just plop down anywhere, to a pair of nice looking generic structures you can use anywhere.

00Randy

Thanks, Randy!

I had few design goals in this case. The overall idea is just what you said, to take a very recognizable structure and break it down into something less obvious as to its origins. With every kitbash I try to minimize some of the distinctive elements that would bely the kit of origin and still maintain some of the beauty and character of the structure (or create a new character entirely).

In this case I really liked the cosmetic curves of the passenger station roof, the tall windows and doors, and the turn-of-the-century look to the building. However the tall tower and large dormers had to go as they were a dead giveaway. So many just try to split the structure in two or shorten it. I chose to break it down into two buildings that would look like they were built by the same builder and belonged together, but they will be displayed on the layout directly opposite each other across two tracks.

I also like to minimize the crude componants of the kit while highlighting or adding crafstman touches, like the planking and siding overlays for the freight house plaftorm. A really simple touch that goes a long way towards finescale realism, IMHO.

I'll say more about the design choices I made as I go through the pictures.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread