Gondolas of Lake Terminal RR.
Until today I could not mount the brakes to the cars. Again additional parts must be mount inside to the frames and so I must prefer these small steps before I can mount the brake systems.

[Image: lt_gonbr_15.jpg]

First I replaced a small part of the triple valves and I added dirt collectors. Here I must start to drill a hole using a 0.2 mm (or 0.008”) dia drill bit for inserting the connecting pipe to the train line, the smallest hole that I drilled ever.

[Image: lt_gonbr_16.jpg]

And than I added retainer valve pipes – fixed by four small clamping pieces …

[Image: lt_gonbr_17.jpg]

… and last the retainer valves have been mount, unfortunately a quite clumpy plastic part from a Tichy Trains brake set. Unfortunately I’m not lucky with these parts however PSC does offer these parts also in a plastic version only. Would they be better in their quality - PSC part #HO-3263?
Such small parts only – and I needed nearly two week for finishing all preparations.
Now I can start to mount the brakes at last!

Yet two remarks.
In picture you can see the first time colored models using a water-based acrylic paint and you see the very row surface of all the wood planks. I’m much affrighted how many details will be visible by such a macro-photography – viewing the models with out a magnifying-glass will show a very good impression without an unnatural look.
Second you will ask for position of retainer valve at the side wall. Ok, it is not the commonly position one – however look this specific car. It has lost its second upper end boards and so it was moved to the side wall according to the original cars. This is the reason also that you can see four holes at end of side wall boards where times before two additional brakes were mounted – times of new condition of the cars before the loads destroyed the end planks again and again and the end walls were reduced to single boards and fixed by two single brackets at end.
American railroad workers were very practice thinking peoples! And things these never would be accepted in Germany – changing a construction of a graduated engineer! (I worked as a railroad worker in Germany and so I know what I write.)
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.

Messages In This Thread