SPEEDOMETER
Matching loco speeds..... I used to run a 40 car coal train, on the club layout, with a Spectrum 2-8-8-2 on the head end, and another at the back end pushing. Once I had the engine speeds set, I would watch the couplers in the middle of the train, and manually adjust the pusher's speed to keep the mid train couplers at minimum strain. This worked well through all the up and down grades, and I never had a problem with any part of the train, even through several hours of operation.
It did help, that I was using a Digitrax DT400 throttle, that allowed me to increase, and decrease train speed ( both locos, almost simultaneously ), and also let me know where each one's speed was set, so I could keep the pusher well within the speed range of the lead.
I understand the convenience of matching loco speed through CV adjustments, but when the lead is downgrade, and the pusher is upgrade ( or vice-versa ) one or the other loco has to be sped up, or slowed down to maintain relatively equal tension throughout the train.
I guess the short version is; My boat doesn't float in "Gadget Bay "...or... The engineer in the helper, has to " work for his pay " . :|
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread