Scratchbuilding Advice
I must agree with the comments regarding the wonders of styrene and a NWSL Chopper. Since you are using Grandt Line windows and doors, this will be far, far easier than you think...just a little time consuming.

In the second photo you posted, you'll notice that there are roof supports and a railing. Should you choose to scratch build these, a Chopper would be invaluable. If you use commercial parts, then you won't even need a chopper.

Step 1, scale that photo. Use the windows and roof heights to approximate the height. Then use this to calculate the length of the structure. I'd want the second view to be visible from the top of the mountain. Should it only be viewable from this angle, there would be no point in spending time and $$$ working on the rear portions. If the building isn't too large, then use your approximation. If it is too large, then reduce the width (such as cutting the building in half and only building the left hand side). If it is far enough back and forced perspective, consider N-scale for the construction.

Step 2, perform a quantity take off: order every window, door, piece of siding, railing, etc that you need to complete it by counting up the number in your sketch or the portion of the building that you are building.

Step 3, check the window and door dimensions once they arrive and adjust the building size to keep the same overall appearance.

Step 4, mark out the window locations in pencil. Use a machinist square and a DULL X-acto blade to perform any cutting. The reason for this is simple: new blades will go wherever they want to go while dull ones go where you want them to go. Make the cuts in several passes...not one hard pass. For the windows, cut them out slightly smaller than they need to be and enlarge them with either a jeweler's file or a cut-down emery board. DON'T glue them in yet.

Step 5, once the main walls are cut out, add framing behind them...especially at the corners...gluing it flush against where the pieces will come together. This is the point to decide if you want an interior...but I'd recommend that relatively little in this department goes a very long way if it is some distance from the front of the layout...add some curtains, people, a few interior walls and lights. Test fit everything!

Step 6, paint the walls inside and out. paint the windows a contrasting color. I highly recommend priming model, then painting it an off black, and then lightly coat it in the desired color until the desired color is achieved. Install the windows being cautious to prevent the plastic cement from touching any exposed paint.

Step 7, assemble it and touch up the paint.

Here's a photo showing both the value in painting prior to final assembly and the merits of a NWSL Chopper:
[Image: IMG_7588.jpg]
That car was built with resin castings produced from my 100% scratch built styrene masters...most of the cuts were performed on a chopper. The color separation between the windows and car body were obtained by painting the parts prior to gluing the windows in place.

The roof (specifically the clerestory) and window masters were built with parts cut to length using a NWSL Chopper. Here's an example of the master roof frame, the clerestory is perfectly straight thanks to the precision obtained with proper use of a Chopper:
[Image: IMG_5701.jpg]

And here's an example of window parts being cut with my Chopper:
[Image: IMG_1333.jpg]

For my recommendation of using primer and multiple, light coats of paint:
[Image: IMG_8146.jpg]
These two styrene cars were each painted with successive thin coats of: primer, foundation, rail brown, grimy black, and then oxide red. Each coat was given at least a couple days to cure...but distressed with a fiberglass scratch eraser about 30min after painting. The decals stand out on the gondola as they were in the process of drying when I took the photo (prior to being dull coated and weathered).

The most difficult aspect of scratch building isn't the actual work...for it is nothing more than measuring, cutting, filing, gluing, and painting...the difficult part is deciding what to build, how you want to do it, and the keeping with it until it is done.

I suggest building a small building first...perhaps a shed in your back yard. Remember that you can always measure parts of your own home to get a feel for dimensions. Try to think in terms of sub-assemblies to keep the project manageable (the front porch posts and railing...the main building walls...the shelter to the left...the main steps...the roofs).

Michael
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread