Scratchbuilding Advice
I think that sumpter has most points here well covered.

I am concerned about your physical reactions to styrene glues, even the low vapour variety, perhaps you should consult your doctor as this maybe a early warning sign. Lots of wood glues and finishes are also bad for ones health with repeated exposure.

As far as the wood vs styrene debate; as a carpenter/cabinetmaker working in maintenance at a large private school I have found the skills easy to transfer and several times I have found my recently aquired hobby skills [in styrene] to be of use at work when working with perspex. All skills are transferable between materials, its just a question of choosing the safest, most affordable material[s] to get the job done.

Just how my arc welding skills will be of use is not immediately apparent, but they are there ready for use.

Dont forget the 80/20 rule in all things. If 80 percent of an object is there then the mind will often fill in the expected details, particularly at a distance as this particular project is expected to be. Mind you its a big ask of a friend for you to build such a big project as a first scratchbuild. Consider the view points of the project and you may be able to fill in the non viewed sides with plain materials and the same with internal walls and floors when considering night lighting.

I have purchased a number of large sheets 24"x12" for use when I get round to consructing my version of the TQW warehouse on the EFRR as a cost and joins saving measure. In my case I will be selectively compressing the length of the structure to give the flavour of the building. Most people will never view the real thing or even the EFRR website so they wont know any better. 80/20 rule again.

You have a lot to consider and consult with your friend about so for the project to be sucessful a clear plan is essential.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More

Messages In This Thread