Adventures in Perspective
Actually, Gary, painting a background scene is almost exactly like building a foreground model.
Both require the same "imagination" and eye for detail. You're just using different materials, and, therefore, different techniques.

"Up until now, I had always considered art to be an innate characteristic, that some have it and some don't. I hadn't really looked at art as being a subject that one could learn. "

Art, is a talent. Your modelbuilding shows you have that talent. it's the painting that is the learned skill, and that is simply building a model with paint, and shading, and color, instead of styrene, cardstock, and glue. Either one, both, take some time, to develop the techniques, to produce a convincing "model".
The "teacher" never says " that's wrong!.
The "teacher" says, " maybe you should try adding this, or using more of that, and see what you think of the difference.
I think that's what we're all doing, I think it's working quite well, and I think you will know when you've got it, "just right".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread