A House for San Berdoo ... but first, The Garage
Mr Fixit Wrote:... Great project mate, but for crying out loud that roof is way over engineered. You could stand on it and it wouldnt break. I have somewhere my Hancocks roofing book which solves all the geo problems with the rafters and hip lengths etc. Let me know if you need a consultation. All that is needed is the roof pitch and the half span.

Yeah, I know. I have a tendency to over-engineer things. I'm an industrial designer ... I know the theory and the principles behind it all, but I let the engineers fine tune the engineering math part. I do what I must do to know that my design won't fail due to poor understanding of the engineering principles! Yep! That sucker is sturdy! I could probably get away with using 0.040" or 0.060" styrene sheet for the walls, too, but the 0.080" stuff allows for the molded windows to sit in their fenestrations as prototype masonry units would and look right.

Actually, all dimensions on the roof worked out as they should have ... I just made the fatal error in the very beginning :oops: ... I allowed for roof overhang beyond the soffit trim in my figuring of the soffit and then cut the base for the whole width and length, ending up with double the soffit and more overall roof overhang than I should have! :oops: It was my "non-thinking" at the very beginning that screwed me in the end :oops: (no pun intended) and I attribute it all to "being out of practice" ... too many years of not having to "think" since I retired ... but that's all changed now! Wink

Mr Fixit Wrote:BTW bought myself a groovy nibbler today, watch out styrene.
Mark
Oh, you're gonna have fun! A nibbler is a great tool!
[Image: UsingtheNibbler.jpg]

[Image: AligningtheToolfortheBite.jpg]

[Image: TheResult.jpg]

:mrgreen:
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread