If I can't read it, I won't!
RailRon Wrote:Let's take normal, everyday English: When, after reading five lines of a ongoing text block of half a page, I'm still asking myself 'What on Earth this guy wants to tell me?', I often drop out and go to the next thread.

Sounds like a sensible algorithm. And it says about the same as the original poster in this thread wrote 50-some posts ago - if a post is written in such a way that it gets overly hard to read and understand, some potential readers will skip it, and the poster will get fewer responses.

A language is a tool. And like with any other tool, some use it very well, most of us eventually learn to use it somewhat adequately, but still have plenty of room for improvement, and some of us have more room for improvement than most people Goldth

None of us can control how others will write or act, but each of us can control how we respond or react to posts made by others.

Feel free to just skip posts that annoy you due to incorrect spelling (e.g. using "ie" instead of "ei" in words like "freight"), creative grammar, inability to distinguish between homonyms (like to/too/two, here/hair/heir), lack of punctuation and capitalization, long stream-of-partial-unconsciousness paragraphs or whatever else may "get your goat" or "push your buttons".

And if anybody feel that they just have to comment on how someone else writes, remember the old saying : "Don't criticize anyone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when they get mad at you, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes ..." Goldth

Grin,
Stein

Messages In This Thread