SSWUP ISL - Build
SSWUPinSA Wrote:Well, I managed to squeeze in a few minutes and made one of the grade crossing mock ups, made from card stock, I can use these as a templates for the Styrene ones I'll make once the track is down permanently... Going to either use Kurts method of fine grit sand paper of the spray on texture with spray painted Rustoleum Gray Primer as Lance uses in his new book "How to Build Shelf Layout" which is a must read! I realise the road is far too dark to be realistic but will sort that out with the real thing... At least now it doesn't feel like I'm on the road to nowhere... Misngth

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

SSWUPinSA

I have used both Kurt and Lances methods for road construction and both work very well. Only one comment on Kurts; make sure that when you glue the sandpaper to the sheet plastic, that you wrap it under the shoulder of the roads. I didn't do this and only glued it to the surface of the plastic sheets using 3M Super 77 adhesive. When I started to add scenic materials (such as sand) and using a 70% alcohol as a wetting solution, the alcohol wicked under the edge of the sand paper and lifted the paper from the plastic. This could probably be averted by rolling the edges of the sandpaper slightly under the road shoulders before gluing the sheets to the foamboard.

As a result, I had to pull the roads up and start fresh. This time I used Lances method of gray auto primer sprayed on the plastic sheet. This was less time consuming since you don't have all the white wash applications to the primered plastic to achieve the desired color. I did sponge brush one or two coats of the white wash medium on to the gray primered plastic with success. It lightens the gray primer, leaving a more charactoristic bleached out look.

Larry

Messages In This Thread