Fluesheet's Shelf Layout
mountaingoatgreg Wrote:The floor wax idea is interesting but I was wondering how it would react to different materials. I think the WS is made from ground up walnut shells as for the other it is probably natural material.

You're correct on both mountain, though I'm not sure what materials are in it. It may have some real cinder in it. Their Limestone ballast is real stone, and looks much better than WS stuff (in my opinion), though dusty.

doctorwayne Wrote:Your grass looks really good - what brand did you use? It looks much longer than the WS stuff which I have.

I used two types; Heki 5/6mm summer mix that came with the Heki Flokstar static grass device. It's the darker green on the left. On the right is layered 4mm autumn and 6mm spring grasses from Silflor. Scenic Express was at a local train show this past November and suggested the combination to give extra depth.

doctorwayne Wrote:I'm curious as to why you used the acrylic floor wax to bond the ballast

Curiosity. I was in the UK last year and picked up a couple of magazines - one of which was Hornby's. One of the articles dealt with ballast application and they recommended acrylic floor wax. The author's claim was that it it didn't need pre-wetting and it held well. I had some Future in the basement that I bought for another one of it's uses - as a clear coat. I'll give it a couple more tries before giving up on it. A guy on another list has had good luck with it.

doctorwayne Wrote:Other than that, though, water with some dish detergent added works well as a wetting agent and white glue and water, properly applied, will bond extremely well, without leaving a shiny finish. As an added benefit, it can be easily removed if you wish to make changes to the track at a later date.

I've had good luck with that as well - It's on standby... Big Grin
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Messages In This Thread