Scratchbuilding a HO Hayes Bumper
doctorwayne Wrote:In our household, the temperatures are Fahrenheit, our cars get so many miles per gallon (Imperial of course), their power is measured as horsepower and foot/pounds of torque, and we know that if you give someone an inch, they'll take a mile. Icon_lol

LOL :-)

We live with some of the same mess.

My wife is American, I am Norwegian. So we measure stuff in the kitchen in both liters and cups, our stove show temperatures in Celsius, as does the thermometer used when the kids are sick, but the one showing the outside temperature shows Fahrenheit - making it necessary for me to just count on my fingers when I wonder how cold it is outside - ("about 30F is about 0C, and there is about 5C for every 10F, so 60F - about 30F above freezing is about 3 x 5C above freezing - call it 15C"), the car effect is measured in horsepower (nobody has a real relation to what the number means anyways - more is better, as long as the car doesn't get too expensive), gas is measured in "tank is down to half full -time to top it up", we still call lumber a 2x4 (even though the shelf is saying 38x96 or whatever), and we also use (in Norwegian) the same expression - except we say "if we give someone your little finger, they will take the whole hand".

Anyways -sorry about hijacking the thread - looking forward to seeing some Hayes Bumpers. And I think I will try to pick up a couple of them in Minnesota next week - almost time for our summer vacation on the west side of the pond :-)

Grin,
Stein

Messages In This Thread