Compact Steel Mill plan?
Shaun, welcome to Steel Modeling, you NEVER have enough room for the buildings you want to use and model lol

nolatron Wrote:By hot slab's, you mean steel slab plates on flat cars? Those would come out of the Electric Furnace destined for a rolling mill "offsite" right?

That is correct. From the blast furnace would come the molten iron in hot metal bottle cars and slag in slag cars. Bottle cars would be destined for the Basic Oxygen Furnace, Open Hearth Furnace or in your case, the Electric Arc Furnace. From the EAF, steel comes out as ingots and goes to through the ingot stripper, then to the soaking pits, and then off to the Rolling Mill to be turned into Blooms, Billets, and Slabs. Check out this diagram that has helped me out in understanding the steel process:

[Image: steelprocess.jpg]

Also, if you can, weather by moving the mainline or moving the steel mill to a location that the mainline is in front of the buildings and the Steel Buildings are along the wall, you could angle some of them AND model some of them as narrow backround Buildings. The Rolling Mill and/or the Electric Arc Furnace would be a good and easy candidate to cut in half length wise and model as a backround building. The Blast Furnace, i wouldnt cut that in half, that would be very hard lol, i built that one and i dont know if that is possible to model just half the furnace lol. You could angle the furnace along the wall though to make it easier to get tracks to it if need be...
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread