Alternative to the NMRA Master Model Railroader?
Sumpter250 Wrote:I keep the tag line in my signature, as a reminder that my advice only has value, when it is asked for, so the following, may have no value at all.

"Teaching", is sometimes more a case of asking the right questions, than of illuminating the mistakes, and offering a way to find the answers.
( Will the engine you want to use be able to get through that curve ? You can test it with a piece of flex track, to see just how tight a curve it can handle. )
The way I do something, is the right way for me. If you try it and it doesn't work for you, try something else. If it does work, you're welcome.

I also keep it to remind me that mistakes should be " learning adventures ", and to help me remember my Father's favorite "Dad-ism".
"To err is Human -- to make the same mistake twice, is criminal folly".
( and, yes, I have had to plead guilty to "criminal folly" ) :oops:

I think i can see what you're saying, i'm just not used to it. I'm a scientist, when i see something is up, i tend to use the quick concise langague that they have me use in the lab to write about protocols and things. I assume the radius listed on the box or the instructions is accurate, if not slightly too tight. Therefore, i would just stick to the facts- "Your curves are X inches, your locomotive's minimum radius is Y inches, so you will need larger radius curves".

It would be difficult for me to think to steer someone to that conclusion with questions when I already have the answer and the evidence to back it up. However, i'll definitely add this to my list of strategies. Your advice certainly has value with me, and i'm not at all opposed to (in fact, i almost prefer) people giving me direct advice on most matters. At the very least i'll consider what i'm told, and if i choose not to go that route, I often reflect on how things may have been different if i had went the other way.

These sorts of things will probably continue to drive me nuts Wallbang Icon_lol Track geometry and wheel bases are not a matter of opinion, they are existing, solid physical constants Icon_lol . Next time that situation pops up, though, i'll make sure to try and lead them there before I type up a lab report response Thumbsup . Thanks a bunch!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread