Alternative to the NMRA Master Model Railroader?
ocalicreek Wrote:A helpful idea is that of immigrants vs natives to the digital world. Immigrants are those who grew up without the internet and for them the only way to interact with other modelers was through either round-robin groups or the NMRA or the local hobby shop coffee pot. Maybe attending a show and getting involved with a club was the way to go.

Natives are those who have grown up not knowing what life was like before the internet and whose entry point into the hobby may very well be a forum such as this. While the former options for interaction are still there and doubtless will continue for another generation at least (if they ever go away entirely), the prefered means of communication for natives remains through digital media with only occasional person-to-person contact.

Actually, I think the internet has done the exact opposite. The internet has put me in touch with more people in person as far as the hobby goes than i can imagine. I've met many members of this forum, either at visits to hobby shops, prototype meets, or even the Gauge trip to steamtown (wish there could be another! I have one idea for any Philly area members in September). In fact, just by being on the internet, i've managed to attract like minded people to my model railroad club.

While many do use the texting and internet communications, i think it is just the necessisty of a busy life and likely large distances between us. face-to-face contact is difficult when many people we meet on the internet are over an hour away and have busy schedules. Indeed, it is awkward to meet people straight off the internet. Its happened to me by surprise once and i was alittle frightened myself, and i think that anxiety prevents face-to-face meetings.

ocalicreek Wrote:I submit the idea that the NMRA itself and in particular, the MMR acheivement program is an immigrant idea, something that belongs to the pre-internet era that has little traction in this new era. And just like any revolution, the new residents of the world must decide what to keep from the old world and what to construct wholly in the new. I think as the old ideas lose relevance, new ideas will emerge naturally. But I also believe leadership in the hobby (like what's going on with Model Railroad Hobbyist e-zine) is necessary to create new structures and shape new common ideas.

Galen

I don't think Achievement programs are so "pre-internet" as you thought!

Achievements have now become the "New" way things are done. Video games like Halo had little "medals" you earned by doing particular things (finding all hidden things, completing the game on increasingly harder difficulties, etc). When Xbox Live was relaunched after Xbox 360, "Achievements" in games were one of the controversial new things they added. The idea was that it would encourage people to play the games. Most people thought it was a silly gimmick, but boy did it work! players go ballistic over them, and it has generated much fun. Competing consoles quickly came up with similar ideas, with Sony creating "Trophies".

Achievements range from beating a game on its most difficult settings, to exploring the hidden corners of a level, or doing something unusual or requiring skill.

While many of you have may not have ever picked up an Xbox controller, the concept is still very much alive and well and a regular part of daily life. I definitely think it can be applied model railroading, but perhaps in a different way. Achievements don't have to be big, they can be small. It can be as easy as "weather a boxcar" or as challenging as "scratchbuild a steam engine". Just like on xbox live, you can display the last few achievements you got in your profile and the "signature" area on your posts. These don't necessarily have to denote that one is a master of model railroading, but simply that one has accomplished these things.

Ultimately, i look at achievements like this-

It is not the destination, its the Journey!

The little tile that goes next to your name is just a reminder of that memmorable journey.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread