Alternative to the NMRA Master Model Railroader?
Quote:Actually, I think the internet has done the exact opposite. The internet has put me in touch with more people in person as far as the hobby goes than i can imagine. I've met many members of this forum, either at visits to hobby shops, prototype meets, or even the Gauge trip to steamtown (wish there could be another! I have one idea for any Philly area members in September). In fact, just by being on the internet, i've managed to attract like minded people to my model railroad club.

But you have said it yourself - 'just by being on the internet'. That's the new starting point. The local paper, the yellow pages, even flyers at hobby shops are no longer the dominant media for natives. Many immigrants have learned the value of this source as well. I don't watch the news anymore - not that I spent a great deal of time watching it before the internet came along. But if I want information I'll read a news outlet online or go to a niche like a forum or newsgroup around that particular interest to learn more. I still read the Sunday paper but only a few pages deep before I work the Sudoku - and only because my wife takes the paper in order to get the coupons! Confusedhock:

While there may be other contemporary acheivement programs out there, the NMRA's was developed well before the internet came into being, if I recall. It's not a sign on and play a video game process either, but a longer process that should take a few years to acheive. Apples & oranges.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread