TPBO
Here's the alternate version of my track plan that I originally posted Feb 9, 2010, but with some minor revisions. Thought I'd run it up the flag pole and see if any one salutes. It's still in the running for being the final version for my ISL. Yes, I know, make up your mind, Ed!     I've eliminated one separate industry (and switch), but the plan still supports all my equipment types and still has my main "desired" industries. As on the other plan, there will be a removable 6ft staging track on the left side of this plan, giving me a total length of 22 feet.

The distribution warehouse has been moved to the opposite side of the industrial lead and in its place is now a trans-load track. The trans-load track would now handle cars of lumber/building products and also includes a simple shed toward the end of the track where covered hoppers of feed, fertilizer or other commodity would be unloaded. Idea comes from a similar facility on the CN/IC in Effingham, IL, and a few other locations that I've seen.

The one main consideration for me with this plan is that by moving the warehouse to the opposite side of the main track, you will be able to see all those colorful IPD box cars when they are on spot. I like the idea of having a large structure like this on the front side of the plan, giving you more of that "concrete canyon" effect, but it does bother me at times that you can't actually see the cars on spot.

Having the one structure (Candy Mfr) at the right side of the plan and on the front edge of the shelf is less of a problem, as when you stand at the end of the shelf, you can easily see what is on spot at that industry. Including two non-rail served structures on the left side of the plan, does still provide that "concrete canyon" feel to the layout and; taking a cue from Lance Mindheim, I've included an abandoned spur to one of them, strictly for scenic effect. As with the previous plan, I have a highway overpass at the left end to separate the main layout from the staging track section.

I've been operating the other version of my plan for a while now, and though I like it overall, I may pull the track this morning and try out this version for a while to see how it suits me. Only takes me about an hour to adjust the track and pin it to the foam and then start operating it, so we'll see what happens.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread