TPBO
SSWUPinSA Wrote:Also a great plan Ed, it will have that concrete canyon effect you want but will open up the layout for a better view. I wonder if perhaps you shouldn't try both versions with full mock-ups so you get the feeling of the views and restrictions if any?
Hi Cal;

Well I've just finished relaying the track to match what we'll call version 2 and have edited the track plan drawing to reflect a couple of minor changes made as I relaid the track. Getting ready to have a couple of operating sessions to see how this plan works out, but just by looking at the end result, I can see that operationally, it will be about the same as Version 1 of the plan. Still have the same number of potential customers and car spots.

Not sure if I have enough material left to make some sort of mockup of the candy plant, but do have a fair representation of the food processor and warehouse at this point. Need to modify the end of the warehouse to reflect the angled portion (which added another car spot location). I'm using a shed from a Walther's grain elevator kit to duplicate the covered hopper unloading spot on the trans-load track and some empty boxes of about the correct size for the other structures. Any way, I have enough stuff on the layout to already give me a good feel for how a final version of this plan will look.

I sure wish I could find a better material to make these structure mockups than that stupid foam board I'm using! All I can find around here is either the card stock covered foam board (a bit expensive for what you get) or plain old posterboard (too flimsy). I will be ordering some 40in X 72in X .060 sheets of styrene plastic as soon as the dealer gets it back in stock, but sure don't want to waste that on mockups.

Going to go rail fanning the NS this morning and I think there is a craft store there, so will see what I can find to work with if they aren't running trains every 15 minutes and I have time to check that store before I call it day.

*** EDIT - UPDATE ***
Have operated this version of the plan a couple of times this morning and other than needing a refinement or two, it's just fine. Look's like I might need a little more selective compression on a couple of industries/tracks, but will continue test operations for a while longer before I make any more changes.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread