Alternative to the NMRA Master Model Railroader?
Thanks, Russ. I've been following that thread as well over on the MRH forum.

Not to knock the current program, but I will say it's not for me. I have contemplated working on a few AP goals just to push myself, but I don't seem to enjoy the hobby as much when I do that.

Another thing is just what Jack mentioned - they have gone to visit a layout only to discover the modeler already meets the MMR status! Eek To me this somehow doesn't seem right. Was he working towards the MMR title when he did all the work? No? Then why should you hand him the title? Who does that benefit - him, or the NMRA? If the program is there to help you acheive, then how did it help him if he wasn't building all those models with the program in mind?

IN this case, Fred's 'bottom line' falls away. What happens when the modeler's self-imposed rules meet or surpass the outside organization's rules without realizing it?

We've already discussed here how many modelers we know that we'd consider 'masters' or modelers who seem to have acheived a level of skill in all areas of the hobby but who, for whatever reason, decide not to join the NMRA or participate in the AP/MMR program. It's good to hear from folks within the program who are finding it useful or helpful, or who take an encouraging position on the subject (we'll help you with the paperwork, the guidelines are flexible, e.g.).

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread