Poll: For you, is model railroading a solo or social activity?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Solo Activity. I enjoy doing most of my modeling by myself. I find it a healthy way to calm my brain and spirit, relax, think, and decompress from everyday stress. Having too many other participants causes me to lose focus and sometimes prevents my full enjoyment of the hobby.
82.50%
33 82.50%
Social Activity. I enjoy modeling with others, inviting others over for operating sessions, and participating in clubs. Without the social contacts, I would have less interest in model railroading.
17.50%
7 17.50%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Model railroading - a solo or social activity?
I think model railroading is just more attractive to people who like to be solo.

While it is possible to do many things in the hobby with other people, its usually just not practical.

On your own personal home layout, you likely have a vision of what it should be, and letting someone else in on it may not be the best idea.

Imagine if you and I were both working on the same kit. When my parts go together with yours, I'm sure they'll seem inconsistent. If we both had our own individual kits, we might be able to small talk but I know either:

A.) i'll start receding into myself and zoning out of the world as i focus on the model,

or

B.) I'll never get the model done because I'm spending to much time talking!

Whats more, We all love building models, and when we have spare time is often not our own decision. When we do get free time, we're not just going to let the model sit because our buddy isn't around, we're just gonna go work on it.

I think more than anything, it is just the nature of the hobby. Even at clubs, its usually just one guy working on a whole section, or a particular job. there is a bunch of us in the room, but it can still be said that it is kinda lonely in there.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread