Planning new FWWR layout
Hey Guys!

I've been lurking on this site for several months, but I'm ready to jump in because of this thread!

I'm doing the same industrial park in N scale, I happen to live just 15 or so minutes from the area. It will be my first layout since I was 12, we'll see if this one ever gets done!!

I like that you have an entire room and can mimic the snake-like trackwork of some of the smaller industries in there. Mine is a straight 1'x11" shelf in a "closet" type of room in my garage. I can only do the straight area just east of the freeway. I plan on having, Miller Brewery, Mrs. Bairds, Smurfit, FW Lumber, Delta Steel and Ben E Keith on the little 6" shelf on the side.

The problem I have personally is that I want to keep it authentic to the real deal, but everything there is straight track with all the spurs curving off 90 degrees. Even in N with 12" depth, that's tough. I'm debating whether I just make the spurs parallel to the main track like most layouts, but it just doesn't have the same feel.

Miller is pretty complex and is very large. I want to have all the tracks, but I think I might go without the track that leads into the warehouse as I just don't see much rail traffic coming from that spur, the others probably get switched daily, if not more.

Mrs. Bairds is super simple, but takes up a lot of room for one spur.

Smurfit Stone always looks empty on bing maps, but whenever I've passed by on the freeway, it's always pretty full. Mostly rustbucket Railboxes. I think that would be a simple industry that moves a variety of goods, even if it's all boxcars.

The lumberyard just looks cool, so why not!?

My drawing was done in COREL draw, so is by no means to scale. I've layed out everything by eye and right now is just pinned down.

I'm really slow to work on stuff, I own a screen printing company and have 4 kids 9 and under, amongst other "distractions" Maybe if I get on here and post I'll get stuff done!

[Image: layout.jpg]

Also I will "build" most of the structures in Photoshop and print them on a large format printer I have access to. Here's Mrs. Bairds. [Image: mrs%20bairds2.jpg]

Messages In This Thread