What Era, Railroads, & Locomotives are you set on?
nkp_174 Wrote:It's just a matter of having the right engine and the right group. (note: I didn't mention money, railroads, or cars...all of which can be handled by the right group).

Additionally, a worn out engine (such as PM 1225 or any of the surviving PRR engines) will be prone to problems and require excessive quantities of work and money trees...and so it makes a bad choice even if it looks good on paper. On the horizon, MILW 261 will be rebuilt within a couple years and NKP 763 will be restored in the coming years (a great engine which was parked in great condition and owned by a very rich man who has restored 5-6 steam locomotives). Don't expect to see C&O 614 or N&W 611 anytime soon.

I was about to say, wasn't there an operating N&W Y6 on top of their Streamlined 4-8-4 (class escapes me at the moment). Wasn't there a former Reading Company T1 still running as well? what happened to that? I know there is work to get one of the PRR K4s going. Sounds like they've lost steam, no pun intended.

Quote:I've neglected Canadian steam in this post...which I shouldn't do, as plenty of good shows have been delivered north of the border (the 6060 at 80mph is a great example)...perhaps one of our Maple Leaf friends can chime in on the status of eastern Canadian steam.

I remember the canadian steamers at Steamtown. I think these had the capacity to impress me, but because they are so limited as to where they can run, it is not like they can open the throttle and really roll. I think that alot of these steamers are just contained, and not able to run to their full potential.

Quote:It could also just be that steam isn't your thing.

Michael

I've considered this, but i do not think it is the case. I've seen some DVDs and pictures that might argue otherwise. Even something as small as an Atlantic can present an impressive display. Certainly, it is fascinating to study the operation of such machines.

On the other hand, i seem to have acquired an interest in arguably the most lifeless of rail equipment, electrics. They barely have any moving parts, apart from motors, wheels, and the passive gliding of a pantograph or a third rail shoe over its power source. Many just give off a whir, and they don't even have the rumbling of a diesel prime mover, let alone the chugging and moving parts of a steam engine. You can at least hear a diesel sigh a bit. An electric might make a bit of a whine before it goes, and then just purrs quietly down the right of way.

The more i think about it, i don't really think the draw is towards any particular type, its just random chance i live in electrified territory. I think there may still yet be just a small spec of romance in the rails left these days, and the rarity of and relatively contained conditions of surviving steam locomotives that prevent me from building these associations.

on the other other hand, GG1s manage to impress me, and none have run for over 28 years, only existing in museums, pictures, and movies.

Meh, it doesn't make sense, but its all a journey. I'll figure it out someday.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread