CSX F40PH Nscale Build
Well that's a very good solution I would have never even thought of...and very simple. Mask it, base coat, spray it again. Simple and I bet effective. Thumbsup

The Tamiya paint is sold at my local hobby store. I've found it a very good covering paint. Trying to remove it...we'll that's another thing. When I used the enamel over the Tamiya, the enamel came off reasonably fast, but the blue Tamiya almost refused to budge. I used 91% isopropyl alcohol, and managed to remove only 75% or the blue base coat - and that was after scrubbing with a toothbrush numerous times and a day of soaking. I finally just accepted whatever was left and painted over it. Like I wrote before, if I would have planned this whole operation better from the start, I probably would have ended up with two better painted engines than I have now. Wallbang

But on the brighter side, the cab air conditioning units are ordered as are two new snow plows. When they arrive, I'll get them painted and installed, which will mean removing the existing plastic that surrounds the pilot coupler for the snow plow, and possibly relocating the horn assembly for the a/c unit. Plus, the additional set of CSX decals should arrive so I can finish off the second engine's transformation from Amtrak to CSX.

Now the question...should I do this same procedure to a Kato F40PH so I can have one dcc equipped engine to pull the two F40 dummies......... Cheers
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread