Question
MasonJar Wrote:There are a few notes above, and also remember that the roofs of cars would be blackened by coal smoke and cinders, or oil smoke. Also, the track would be weathered differently. In many pictures I have seen, track that is frequented by steam locos have oil and other weathering along the outside of each rail. Tracks used by diesels have a single line dribbled down the middle. This is a function of the lubricated parts of a steam loco being "outside" and constantly throwing off oil, as well as friction bearing trucks that were frequently oiled. Contrast with traciotn motors that hang between the tracks, and roller-bearing trucks that didn't have to be soaked in oil to work. Andrew

50's cars would also have ( as well as friction bearing trucks that were frequently oiled ) dark wheel faces, as all the oil from the friction bearings would be spread across the wheels by centrifugal force, and mix with dust and dirt to make an "oily, thick, mud-like, coating". Modern wheels, would be more rusty looking.

I do remember the crossing guards, and their little shacks at each grade crossing.
I also remember the early automatic gates getting stuck down, because the shock and vibration of a passing steam locomotive would mess up the detection devices that operated them. ( at least on the LIRR )
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread