Southern Pacific Switching Layout
Justin,

Why did you give up the Food Company? Food processors are great sources of traffic. I was suggesting that instead of a storage track, you could put in a building supply (an edge of the layout industry). It just seems that the entire right side of the layout is one big drill track.

If you put a right hand turnout on the other side of Colfax Avenue, it could lead into the food processor that was in the corner. You can also put in a left hand turnout behind the right hand turnout on the other side of Colfax Avenue for a building supply if you want to keep the storage track. I would also add a ready mix plant to the building supply or put the Goldenflame coal silos in for a sand and gravel addition to the business. Good for 5 carloads a week. The storage track can also be for a salvage dealer with variable carloads a week.

Crossing Colfax Avenue creates an operating wrinkle by having to stop the train, flag the crossing, and try not to block the road for too long. It's a great way to stretch tour operating session. I planned this on my layout before Lance Mindheim mentioned it in his book, but it's good to see I'm not the only one with this view.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.

Messages In This Thread