Southern Pacific Switching Layout
FCIN Wrote:
Justinmiller171 Wrote:In the meantime I have been starting to think that there is still a problem with my engine, everytime I clean my test track the engine will run good for alittle bit, but after about 2 trips across the test track it begins stopping and starting alot, even in idle it will occasionally lose power and start up again. tomorrow I will try and take apart the engine again and see what the problem is.
I'm really puzzled as to why you seem to be having so much trouble with your NW-2 (I guess that's the one you're talking about). I've had mine a lot longer then you've had yours and it has always run great right from the first time I ever operated it. I use it frequently and have never had any stalling or other issues with it.

Is your test track brass or nickel silver and what do you clean it with? Don't use any sort of abrasive such as a Bright Boy or even fine sand or emery paper, as that will pit and scratch the rail, causing it to oxidize and accumulate dirt very quickly.

I tried both, the brass actually seemed to work alittle better, but I am sure that is just because It was still it its box, I have never used any abrasive cleaner

FCIN Wrote:My next question would be are you running any cars with the loco on the test track that still have plastic wheel sets on them? You'd be surprised just how much dirt and grime will accumulate on those plastic wheels over time and running the car will get the track dirty very quickly. I used to see that happen when all my cars had plastic wheel sets - clean the track - run a train or two, then run your finger over the rail and it's dirty again.

I just wipe my rails with either 70% or 91% alcohol on a soft cloth and it seems to stay clean enough to eat off of, no matter how much I run an engine over it or which engine I use. I've never tried it or found any reason to do so, but a lot of folks like to put a tiny drop or two of Wahl hair clipper oil or even transmission fluid on the rail and let a locomotive spread it around on the track, to improve electrical contact.
I only use the nw-2 on the test track, I clean the track with "lens wipes" they are small cloths pre-soaked with 70% alcohol.

FCIN Wrote:You may not have to take the loco apart, but just look for things like hair or dirt on the trucks and at the contact points like you found before. Pull the side frames off the trucks if necessary. You can clean that off with alcohol too or even spray contact cleaner (available from Radio Shack). If you find that sort of stuff in the trucks again, then the next issue is determining where it's coming from and eliminate the source.

Worse case: It may be a loose wire or wire that is making intermittent contact on the decoder board. If worse comes to worse, you may have to send it to BLI to have them check it out and make any possible needed repairs.

I have noticed that when I run the engine at slow speed the problem gets worse, the most troublesome point seems to be right before the engine comes to a complete stop, I am still puzzled as to why the engine would lost contact, and then regain contact when it is idle.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)

Messages In This Thread