Model Railroad Economy
Guys --

Everybody (including the original poster) knows that it is not modern with paired industries on a modest sized layout - which is why the original posted called it a "decidedly retro model railroad concept". He asked for suggestions for pairs, not for a discussion of why the concept has fallen out of favor (at least to a large degree). Or for an explanation of what paired industries are - he probably (quite reasonably) assumed that most of us knew the concept already.

Which is why I mentioned some such pairs: coal mine - powerplant, other mine - ore processing plant, and (as an example of an industry which use closed cars and perhaps is a little less common) : transload from river barge to RR tank car and delivery to industry (or the other way around).

Other "pairs" (or more accurately - intra-layout moves) which is not necessarily quite as unconvincing as the ye olde "transport chains" on a 4x8 - transporting grain from elevator to mill, flour from mill to bakery and then bread from bakery to local grocery store (all by train ...) , or logs from logging camp to sawmill, planks from saw mill to furniture plant and then furniture from the furniture plant to local furniture dealer:

- From interchange to municipal road salt transload (just takes two plain tracks - the the road salt transload can even be just a part of another spur).
- Empty old style refrigerator car from yard to pre-cooling plant to produce warehouse to icing rack
- Taking a car to a cleanout track before loading, or after unloading

There are lots of ways to generate some intra-layout moves :-)

Smile,
Stein

Messages In This Thread