Liberty Industrial Spur
Justinmiller171 Wrote:Well, I am pretty sure I am going to build it without foam

If I am not mistaken, Mal's CSX Palmetto spur was built without foam, and it is one of the best looking layouts I have ever seen.
I don't want this project to get bogged down waiting to get foam, then carve it, then paint it, and so on, Nor do I want to rush, but I think that doing scenery and adding details will take quite awhile, I expect this layout to only last a couple of years, and that is about the time it will take to do all of the scenery and details.

As I am building a "Generic Prototype" I will not be deciding on one single place to model, If my landscape is to flat, I can simply move Liberty to the mid-west or south-west were it is flatter.

Its not that you NEED foam to build on, but it keeps your options open.

Why not just get the foam anyway, lay the track on it, so that you can carve it later if you choose? While New Jersey is a hilly state, in the context of an industrial lead, its not going to have to many changes in terrain. There are however, "little things"; Drainage ditches with culverts, small collection ponds, and other features that might require some "below ground" parts.

None of that stuff is any sort of major carving operation, but it keeps you options open. If you mount straight onto the door, EVERYTHING is stuck at flat track level.

Also, I to recommend building your industrial lead "up" on a road bed, with your industry spurs going down flat at a level slightly lower. This reflects the most common practice i have seen on rail sidings around this state. Just things to consider.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread