Two loading projects
Today I finished the first loading project; the mill gondolas are gone in service.

[Image: millgondola-ladung_00-k.jpg]

Basic for the load are three sets of these girder bridges made by Central Valley.

[Image: millgondola-ladung_01-k.jpg]

The girders are lengthened for three fields and they have got wood racks for a fixed positioning - after spraying with color that look very close to red lead priming coat - or in German: Bleimennige.

[Image: millgondola-ladung_13-k.jpg]

And this is the result including the short idler car.
I had seen in a picture myde by Doc Wayne this off-center positioned load and first I was surprised. After a short writing with him here in forum I found a Loading Rule document of 1917 and there were many rules written how work with such off-center loads and so I was sure that it is a corrct way for shipping loads longer as the available cars.
However I have one problem yet with these models.

[Image: millgondola-ladung_02-k.jpg]

At last I would like to add such signboards of the producer at both sides of this steel construction and I created the plant "Phoenix Steel Co." located in Lorain, Ohio - a really large steel producion and processing area.
My question is - Were such producer signboards used already in 30ties and early 40ties of last century? Or is this a more newer aspact of American railroading? What is your opinion to this? I would like to get your knowledge in this fact, please.
And second - When your answer should be Yes or Ok. than I would like to ask you for the size of this specific signboard? Would you prefer to reduce the size of it a bit? My wife said that it will be too large in contrast to the small car lettering. What is here your position?
Thank you very much for your help and answers.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.

Messages In This Thread