Questions about a coal dealer
Well Depending on the year and location several different grades and sizes of coal could be offered by a coal dealer. I can list a few of the common types that have been available. First there are 3 main types of Coal; Soft coal or bituminous, Hard coal or Anthracite, and coke, A processed form of soft coal that gives it some of the qualities as Anthracite but much less dense. From those hard and soft coal are graded by size Starting with the largest, lump (> 4 3/8'') to grate, egg, stove, chestnut, buckwheat, rice and, fine #3 buckwheat ( 3/23 - 3/16 ") for anthracite. For bituminous there are three main grades lump (1 1/4 - 4 "), nut (1 1/4 - 3/4"), and slack ( anything under 3/4 "). Sometimes soft coal would be broken up into egg and pea sizes also, depending on the location. Coke is usually only offered in one grade similar to egg or stove size. As to what particular sizes that dealer offered I couldn't say, but keep in mind most coal dealers also sold fire wood and rock salt. I hope that this helped a little.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  

Messages In This Thread