Moving day...
Thanks once again for the kind comments. :oops:

Gary, the grain elevator wasn't cemented to its base, and I simply pressed the foundation, which isn't very deep, into the wet plaster, which was deep is some areas and almost non-existent in others, as its main purpose was to level the "building lot". When I placed the elevator on the base, however, it was apparent that the "levelling" wasn't all that successful, as the structure had a pronounced list. I grasped the base and it lifted fairly cleanly out of the hardened plaster, so I simply applied some of the driveway gravel around the perimeter of the building's footprint to further level the site. The elevator was then cemented to its base, and the assembly was placed in its former position, then squeeged-around in the loose gravel until it sat level. I added some ground foam around the base to cover any gaps, sprayed it with "wet" water and applied some dilute white glue. When the glue had set, it was held in place but should be readily removeable.
The store structure isn't cemented to the elevator (don't tell anyone, but that's because the two buildings are not square to one another 35 ). For it, I had to dig out a fair amount of the hardened new plaster alongside the road in order to accommodate its fairly-deep foundation. I then backfilled with more gravel mixture, and added a little more, along with some weeds, to the track side, where the foundation was sitting atop the existing "ground". I also mounded gravel beneath the loading door on the store's end, in order to bring truck beds up to the floor level of the building. I haven't tried to remove either structure, but the store may be fairly permanently attached.

Tom, the driveway was done with a mixture of two or three colours of ballast, along with some finely-ground foam ("Turf", "Burnt Grass", and "Yellow Grass", I think) and some very fine (powder-like) real dirt. I like to keep layering-on additional material until it looks suitable, then applying water and glue to affix everything at once. If anything needs a touch-up (or a total make-over) it's easy to apply more material after the initial glue application has set.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread