SLC Mechanical Reefers
Thanks everyone for checking out the cars, and appreciate the compliments.

The Mountain King plant in real life has two unloading spurs, with 5 spots on each spur = 10 cars. I am modeling that as is, 10 unloading spots on the layout. The proto building is much longer than the unloading spurs though, it actually has 3 loading doors further down the spur. I did compress that a bit, with only two loading doors instead of the three.

As for the SLC train, it will typically have only 10 or less cars in it. Another 10 or less will already be spotted at Mountain King.... 20 or less SLC cars on the layout at any given time That leaves 7 more cars to mix things up a bit. For operations, a typical spud run will consist of dragging 10 loaded cars from the BNSF interchange to the plant, pulling the empties, then spotting the loads, then taking the empties back to the BNSF interchange for their return trip to Colorado.

Bruce, thanks for the warm welcome-back. I've been viewing Big Blue all this time, but have been hyper-focused on the layout construction = not much posting. I have an open house next weekend, have been getting ready for that.

Messages In This Thread