Turnout control,Manual or Electric pros or con
I have experience with my layout and 2 others. The controls have been a combination of electric, manual (switch stand) and Peco finger-poking. The electric ones have been both twin-coil and Tortoise (slo-mo motor).

Whatever is used, crossovers should be arranged so that both switches change at the same time.

My layout uses mostly Peco twin-coil with a smattering of other ancient makes. I like them for ease of installation and use but they need robust points. I have them all along the entrance ladder to my larger station. Only problem there is where I've used other makes to get the contacts and the electrical characteristics aren't the same.

I have a double junction with 2 Tortoises. I like them because of the slow motion and the two thin wires that control them. But they are pricier than the Peco.

My small station is all finger-poking with micro-switches operating from the throw rod. (see my 2010 challenge). Since it's only half a dozen switches in a short area, that works. Previously I had ground throws and finger-poking. It's best when an area is done consistently, but I had old Pecos with tired springs.

On another layout, he had a lot of ground throws (Shinohara type switches) and we found the Caboose Industries ones weren't sturdy enough for our fingers.

On a third layout, I think the Tortoises are powered by relays. The controls involve touching a wire to a brass tube that's around a LED; the LED lights up when the switches are set. (at the station I operate). Other places they are operated by rotary switches. At one busy junction the motors are a bit slower than we'd like and the operator was given a button to kill the approach section if the points didn't change fast enough (guess why it's called Gerry's Thumb).
At the station I operate, the crossovers on 2 platform tracks and the escape road are powered but all the rest are manual (other platforms, crossovers, and the yards/shed).
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.

Messages In This Thread