Lets build a camelback,, or two.
I started on the smoke box yesterday. normally the smokebox is unlagged and therefore a slightly smaller diameter than the rest of the boiler. Some people will make a wrapper the same way I will, but layer it on top of the boiler. This to me is just looks plain wrong, because the smokebox is now larger than the boiler. I on the other hand, make the wrapper slightly longer than it needs to be and insert it into the front of the boiler. This yields a much more prototypical appearance.

So here we go. The finished length of the smokebox is 6 feet. I cut a strip of the same brass to a scale 42 feet by a little over 6 feet. This we allow me to press in the rivets for both boxes on one strip, It's a little easier to handle that way. I than use a black marker to color in the approximate location of the front row of rivets. This set of rivets is just a single straight line just before the boiler front. On most locos the spacing is around 4 inches between the rivets. I scribed a line in the ink and marked it in roughly 4 in increments, this will become the inside of the smokebox.    

The finished line looks like this.     It may not be perfect but it will not be to noticeable once the strip is rounded into shape.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  

Messages In This Thread